Thursday, December 16, 2010

shabbat shalom 16.12.10


Thu, December 16, 2010 2:30:48 AM
shabbat shalom 16.12.10
...
Photo for Linda Whittaker
From:
Linda Whittaker    
...
View Contact
To:Linda Olsvig-Whittaker Olsvig-Whittaker ; Linda Olsvig-Whittaker


Hi everyone,


Whew, what a week.  Quite apart from moving the office (which is still in boxes, awaiting the carpenter to put up shelves and bookcases), we also had a monumental storm in Israel on Sunday night.  It started with howling winds all Sunday, blowing soil particles into every possible crevice inside and outside homes.  I was sweeping constantly since Saturday.  Then the real storm hit as a northern front rolled in with hurricane force, tossing garden chairs and tables in the air, overturning pots, knocking off roofing tiles, downing trees, and making our home shudder and vibrate all night.  My critters were all cowering from the howling and shaking, and I saw some cats come into the kitchen via the cat flap that I had never seen before.....everyone hunkered down like it was a military attack. 


When I got up at 4 am, the wind had stopped, and the village was covered in snow.  During the night, the dust storm had changed to a rainstorm which turned to snow as the temperatures plunged from 22oC to 0oC.  I was grateful that we had electricity still, and my air conditioner was heating the house, even though it had to do frequent defrosting.  The snow melted quickly as temperatures warmed again and precipitation went back to rain again.  By 10 am it was melted, but we were all cold, miserable, and a bit shell shocked.  I located those cats who had taken shelter outdoors and fed them, and came to work.  I was lucky; didn't lose any tiles from the roof, only a bit of structural damage.  We have such storms maybe once every 2-3 years, so we have to prepare for them.


It's been hard getting back to routine work again as we try to settle down in our new offices, but as long as my computer is hooked up, I can do quite a lot.  I finally got things more or less arranged as I like, and I am able to look out the window as I am working on the computer.  I got a small window this time but it looks out over open country, across Jerusalem to Nebi Samuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Samuel)


  


A very pretty view, which is something I haven't had for 16 years.  So I am content.  Now it is a matter of settling back down to work.


shabbat shalom,
Linda
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://shabbat-shalom-jerusalem.blogspot.com/

No comments: